Wednesday, December 7, 2011

Second Class Citizen

What is this?  A dutch apple pie with a candle in it?  Why?

There is a running joke in our house right now.  And the butt of that joke is my beloved Lincoln.
Today is his 5th birthday.  Yes, I know what day my cat was born.  Yes, I realize this is not a normal thing to keep track of.  Lincoln has been the victim of my misguided nesting instincts for several years. And the birthday tradition of getting a cake/pie/dessert of some kind and taking a picture of the stinkin cat next to it has been observed every year of his life.
But will this be the last year?  I have this little human in my lady bits that will be born in less than 3 months.  A child to focus my no longer misguided motherly and nesting instincts on.  Poor little Lincoln is about to become a second class citizen.  Does that little peanut of a brain have any clue what is about to happen to this family?  Will it be a rude awakening or a relief that I am finally leaving him alone and not trying to smoother him with snuggles?  Will we remember this time next year that Lincoln is 6?
I don't know the answer to that.  But I do know I love apple pie with vanilla ice cream, so maybe we will remember.  Food is one hell of a motivator.



2 comments:

  1. Funny. After our daughter was born, the cat definitely took a backseat. I thought she would enjoy the break as all affection we poured on her up to that point was met with annoyance. However, when we stopped paying attention to her, she turned into the most co-dependent needy attention hogging cat on the planet. Good luck with that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This made me laugh so hard! I think mainly because I know we have the same kind of cat. I do suspect a lot of jealousy towards the new baby. Note I said new baby, cause Lincoln no doubt thinks he is our baby or something. I look forward to taking pictures of the first introduction when we come home from the hospital. :)

    ReplyDelete