Friday, December 30, 2011

Ummmm. . . .Well Damn.

I was laid off today.  Well, not just me.  My entire department and all of my employees were let go today.  There is no more mall customer service.  No giftcards, Ticketmaster, kids club, etc.  The mall just simply won't have those kinds of things anymore.

Which means I am 7 & 1/2 months pregnant and unemployed.  No maternity leave.  No cashing out of my vacation and personal days I would earn come January 1st.  I do, thankfully, get 4 weeks of severance pay.  No word yet if I will get my year end bonus - but dammit I should since an entire year of work went into it!

I'm bummed.  Actually I would say I am more in shock at this point since I have never been fired/laid off before.  I'm not sure what to do with myself.  Unemployment will hopefully help once the severance runs out since there is no way in hell I can get a job when I am almost ready to pop with babiness.  But after that?  I just don't know.

I also feel really bad for all of my employees.  For them this was a part time job to help make ends meet.  Some of them needed the money more than others.  One of them is a single mom of four.  One of them is retired and not getting enough from her benefits to be able to pay all her bills.  And for this to be their reward for working their little butts off thru the holiday season is just wrong.  No severance for part time employees.  So any income they were depending on getting from here is gone in an instant.  I hope they can make it.

4 comments:

  1. I of course got your text. What's your e-mail address btw? I've always used the mall one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah, yes. This would be good info to provide you with! I'll text you with it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Damn is right. that really sucks. hoping the new year brings new opportunities and knowing the new year brings new life. for better or worse, it's the 3 of you for life... no matter the circumstances. praying for you guys!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for all your kind words and encouragements! The emails and comments have been really helpful and supportive. We'll figure this out. :)

    ReplyDelete